Being a relative newcomer to the United States I decided that I needed to look for some advice on how to decorate for fall. Beautiful comfortable temperatures, sunny days, the amazing palette of fall foliage and the start of football season means that for most people here this is their very favourite time of the year and they want to celebrate it! With such good reasons behind this I feel like I should embrace all the fun!
The season of fall is so important to everyone and my American friends will beautifully decorate their houses at this time of year. It is now that my inexperience with seasonal decorating is very evident to me. In England there is not a tradition of decorating for autumn and so I needed help!
I have been to talk to Shaela Coffman – the owner of Signed, Sealed and Delivered store in Rogers, Northwest Arkansas. This store can only be described as the most incredible seasonal decorating shop I have ever been in. It is a huge Aladdin’s cave of the most eye catching and aesthetically pleasing decorations. There are so many lovely things that it is hard to know where to start! Do not worry as Shaela and her team are experts who are more than happy to assist.
Signed, Sealed and Delivered is not only an incredible store. Shaela and her team of designers will custom make arrangements for you to take home. They can work with your own pieces from home to transform them into a seasonal masterpiece or they can create something brand new just for you. Shaela’s most sought after service is her individual at home seasonal decorating service where she will transform her clients’ homes with seasonal decorations. There is a waiting list of 3 years to have Shaela decorate your home for Christmas so potential clients need to plan in advance!
Fall décor goes up anytime from early September onwards and it will last with minor adaptations all the way through to Halloween and on to Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving people generally act quick to take fall decorations down so they can get ready for the highlight of the year with their Christmas displays!
Expert tips for your fall decorations
- A centrepiece for the table is essential for your home fall decorations. Be creative and design your own arrangement with things you already have at home.
- Think outside the box with what you can use as part of your decorating. Repurpose old items with fall accessories to create new and individual pieces.
- Include nature in your decorating. Foliage, twigs, branches and moss all look beautiful and create a natural feel in your home.
- A seasonal candle is key to creating the feel of fall with the warm scent of pumpkin and spices. The most popular candle sold at Signed, Seaded and Delivered is the Aromatique Pumpkin Spice candle. (I love my Aromatique Pumpkin Spice candle. The fragrance diffuses through the house so quickly that is a great purchase). These candles are extremely popular and do sell out so do not wait around to get one or you could be disappointed.
Aromatique is a very well regarded brand of fragrances for the home. One thing I like about this brand is that they are an Arkansan company who have a great philanthropic approach to their state and the people who live there.
- Use combinations of real pumpkins and gourds of varying sizes and colours to create your own displays. Spraying the pumpkins with clear acrylic spray will prolong their life looking good in your home.
- Porch displays of chrysanthemums or ‘mums’ as they are affectionately called are an easy and simple way to bring colour and shape to the outside of your home. Again vary the sizes to create proportion. Stick with just one colour or choose a variety.
Favourite Fall Item
I asked Shaela what was her most favourite fall item to buy in the store. She had no hesitation in showing me the velvet pumpkins that are from Hot Skwash by Daria. These most beautiful velvet silk pumpkins with natural pumpkin stems are table top art, nature and design combined. Daria’s family owned company in Oregon works with local farmers to gather the woody pumpkin stems. On each completed pumpkin the stem will be signed by Daria in gold lettering.
Since seeing these pumpkins first hand in the store and looking through Hot Skwash’s beautiful website I am already wishing that I could have at least one. They are very desirable and the sort of art that I can easily see myself collecting year on year. It is my wedding anniversary at the weekend. Perhaps if I drop some hints I could have one of my own!
(Photos of velvet pumpkins with permission of Hot Skwash by Daria)
I am now very inspired to start my decorating and I know I’ll be using all the tips I picked up at Signed, Sealed and Delivered! Hopefully I’ll be as good as all my American friends very soon!
Signed, Sealed and Delivered can be found at:
529 N 46th St, Rogers, AR 72756
Tel: 479 899 6699
On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/signedsealeddelivered_ofnwa/
And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SignedSealedDelivered/