I am and always have been an animal lover. I’ve had cats who were all super special in many different ways. Their little feline personalities all unique and equally adorable. I had a horse too who helped my childhood dream come true when I was a grown up with children of my own! Yet I had never had a dog. I didn’t think I was a dog person and to be honest big dogs scared me a little and I never really got to know any smaller dogs so I was pretty ambivalent towards canines.
However, my husband is a dog lover. He has always had dogs in his family. Working dogs on the farm and family dogs in their home. I appreciated other families’ love for their dogs but I found it difficult to see the attraction. My girls had pestered for a dog on and off and we told them that whilst Mummy went to work we couldn’t get a dog. I thought we were pretty safe to not get another pet! Well, those of you who have read my blog posts before will know we moved from the UK to America and I no longer work. Children have great memories and mine are no exception so they remembered about our so called deal about getting a dog! I couldn’t hold out any longer and speaking to other expats out here they had said how getting a dog helped their families to settle in quickly. It helped them to put down roots to their new home.
We chose to go for a cockapoo puppy as our friends had one and we loved her. Cockapoos seem to be the perfect breed to suit us. They are kind and friendly, hypoallergenic and they do not shed any fur. So Rascal came to live with us when he was only 7 weeks old. We could not have made a better decision!
Rascal makes me smile multiple times a day or even per hour! He is very loyal and is my little best friend. He keeps me company when I’m at home on my own during the day and he is like my little shadow. We have formed a very close bond and he has turned me into a dog lover! Getting a puppy was one of the best decisions we have ever made. His doggy presence makes us all happy and his entertaining behaviour makes us laugh. We all want to cuddle up to him as much as he wants to snuggle up to us.
What to expect getting a new puppy for the first time:
- To start with you will be very busy and always be thinking about the dog. You can’t ever imagine that your brain can ever switch off thinking about the puppy and relax. It’s as if you always have one eye open as to their whereabouts and what mischief they could be getting up to! Give it time and you and your puppy will both relax into your life together.
- Your puppy will become the centre of your world and you will become one of those people you meet who can’t resist to tell you about their canine friend!
- You will meet lots of people when you are out and about who want to come and talk to you and pet your puppy. You will gladly accept all the compliments they give you about how cute your puppy is and you will agree with them!
- Your puppy will very quickly have a large collection of toys and some how in a short space of time the toy box will be empty and all the toys are spread round the house! It’s as if you have small children in the house.
- You will plan your day around the dog. It needs planning as to how long you will be away from the house and when you can get back to let the dog out and spend some time with him. If you are needing to be out for a longer time will the puppy need to go to doggy daycare? Dogs are similar to people in that we all benefit from company and being on their own can make them lonely and bored. This would then be the perfect time for them to get up to some mischief! Even something as simple as popping into the supermarket and the dog being in the car is impossible because it’s too hot to leave the dog in the car even for a minute!
- You will get to know your neighbourhood and local area a lot better because you will be walking around it a lot more frequently and you will be getting more exercise than you did before you got the puppy! It’s a great way to meet your neighbours too.
- You will feed your dog as good a diet if not better than you eat yourself. We feed Rascal Wellness Core dog food and their products are only full of great natural ingredients I can understand the names of. The Core food is grain free and packed full of protein with nothing nasty at all in there. I’m sure the ingredients in their food is better than a lot of the human food on the shelves in stores.
- And finally you will find out that there is always more love in your heart to give and your puppy will certainly accept every drop of love you have for him!